The Australia-China Council (ACC) was established by the Australian Government in 1978 to promote mutual understanding and foster people-to-people relations between Australia and China. The Chairperson is appointed by the Executive Council on the recommendation of the Minister for Foreign Affairs, who also appoints the Board members.
The Council to makes recommendations to the Australian Government through the Minister for Foreign Affairs on strengthening the Australia-China relationship and furthering Australia's foreign policy and economic diplomacy interests. The ACC Secretariat is a part of the North Asia Division within the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
The Council’s core activities are:
- Providing policy advice to the government, and promoting bilateral relations among its network of stakeholders in the strategic priority areas of Economic Diplomacy, Education, Arts and Culture.
- Supporting and funding sustainable, long-term and high-impact projects that directly contribute to the strengthening of Australia-China relations and which support the Government’s foreign and trade policy objectives
- Supporting a network of 30 Australian Studies Centres located in leading Chinese metropolitan and regional universities through the Australian Studies in China program and the new Foundation for Australian Studies in China – a unique partnership between government, corporate and university sectors to advance Australian studies and education in China.
Programs and Activities
The Australia-China Council has been supporting Australian Studies in China for over two decades and provides funding to a network of over 30 Australian Studies Centres across China. The network is one of Australia’s leading public diplomacy and education engagement platforms that is set to grow in importance for Australia-China relations.
Through its annual competitive grants program, the Australia-China Council supports projects across China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau and Australia that deliver tangible outcomes for Australia-China relations in the priority areas of Economic Diplomacy, Education, Arts and Culture.
Meet the Australia-China Council Board Members.
The Australia-China Council provides effective and informed advice to the Australian Government in relation to public diplomacy strategies and Australia-China engagement in the key areas of Economic Diplomacy, Education, Arts and Culture, and practical support in the coordination and implementation of these strategies.
Foundation for Australian Studies in China
In 2011 the Australia-China Council established the Foundation for Australian Studies in China (FASIC). The Foundation is an independent non-profit foundation in Australia created to support Australian Studies Centres and to provide funding and other support to the BHP Billiton Chair of Australian Studies to be located at Peking University in Beijing
The Australia-China Council Secretariat
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
RG Casey Building
John McEwen Crescent
Barton ACT 0221
- Telephone: (+ 61) 2 6261 3818 or 9669
- Facsimile: (+ 61) 2 6112 3818
- Email: email@example.com
- Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/auschinacouncil
- Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DFAT
- Australian Diplomatic Missions in China
- Travel to China? Smartraveller advice